Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
Updated August 10, 2016
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) requires that we gain verifiable consent for your child to participate in the Ocean Awareness Student Contest.
We are asking for your permission to retain your child’s information (name, email, hometown, grade level, and school) and adult sponsor’s (teacher, parent/guardian) name and email in order to track Contest participation, accept Contest submissions, notify Contest winners, and distribute Contest awards. If you consent, we may use your child’s name, grade, and hometown (city, state (if USA) and/or city, country) in Contest-related outreach.
Your child is participating in the Ocean Awareness Student Contest (“Contest”), a free, international art competition hosted by Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs (“Bow Seat”). The mission of the Contest is to empower the next generation of ocean caretakers through art, science, and advocacy.
For the Contest, your child must provide his/her personal information (first and last name, email, grade level, hometown, and school); his/her submission (visual art, poetry, prose, or film); and an adult sponsor’s first and last name and email. Since your child is under the age of 13, the information collected will be kept confidential in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Bow Seat is the sole owner of all of the information that is collected during the Contest.
- The personal information provided by the child is used to track Contest participation, accept Contest submissions, notify Contest winners, and distribute Contest awards.
- Only with parent/guardian consent, the child’s name, grade, and hometown (city, state (if USA) and/or city, country) may be used to promote the Contest. This includes, but is not limited to, outreach via social media, websites, organizational literature, and at events.
- Bow Seat will not require a child to disclose more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in the Contest.
- No information will be disclosed to third parties.
- The parent can review the child’s personal information, ask to have it deleted, and refuse to allow any further collection or use of the child’s information.
Please download and complete the consent form. If you have any inquiries or concerns regarding Bow Seat’s Ocean Awareness Student Contest, please contact Alyssa Irizarry, Program Manager (email@example.com).